Monday, June 3, 2019

Metal Devil Cokes

I have owned MDC's Metal Devil Cokes CD for what seems like an eternity. Well, no more. I'm officially putting it up for sale on eBay within a week or so. Parting is such sweet sorrow. But how did I get to this place?

I've always liked Texas-born MDC. Dave Dictor always seemed like a progressive kind of guy with songs that were pro-gay, pro-animal, anti-capitalism. Not every song was a winner, but I felt that the band's heart was in the right place, and I appreciated it. But for all that praise, the only release I ever owned was the aforementioned one. I had a copy of one of the band's other releases (long since eaten by a car stereo's cassette player), and I have some compilations with the band on it, but still ... I only ever bought this one release.

Before parting with it, I decided to give it one last listen. Partly for nostalgia's sake, but also to see if maybe I was making a mistake. Maybe I'd like it even more now and want to pick up everything the band has done. Sadly, after giving it three listens, I was not changing my mind. My reaction was the same upon first hearing it. It's clever, catchy ... and not much else. Perhaps it's a little too juvenile for my tastes. I remember thinking that very thing when I bought it, too.

I'm putting a lot of my music up for sale. Not because I hate it, but because there is so much of it that I don't listen to anymore and have no desire to do so. Oddly enough, my feelings on the bands haven't changed, but some of these things I've heard so many times that I don't think I need to hear them again. They aren't connected to any particular memory. They don't connect as deeply as some other releases. They just don't move me.

But what if I'm wrong? It's a question anyone who is selling off part of their collection faces. What if you are wrong, and the moment you sell it, you'll want it back? Well, I guess the band will get my money a second time ... and there's nothing wrong with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment