Saturday, February 5, 2011

Orgy of One

While waiting to see when/if some friends would ever arrive (and I would be lucky if it were an "if"), I popped in a tape I hadn't listened to in a long time.  Ogry of One's ... From Outer Space.  There's a good chance that most of you reading this have never heard of this one-man band named after a Meatmen song.  If you're a Misfits fan, though, you should be familiar or make yourself that way.

The product of Doug Evil (who is now a great photographer out of Pittsburgh and did the logo for my old band JFK's Head -- yes, he's also an excellent artist), Orgy of One came about due to his fascination with the Misfits.  I had received a tape to review, and we quickly started writing.

... From Outerspace is a cassette-only release.  Four songs.  All of them Misfits cover tunes.  "London Dungeon," "Bullet," "Last Caress," and "Mommy ... Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?"  All of those are classic Misfits, and this one-man band does them proud.  Released on Pernicious Misanthrope Records (year unknown), Evil gave away the tapes for the price of postage, unable to sell them for the obvious reasons.  (He once asked me if I thought he would get in trouble.  I knew Mo and Doyle of the Misfits and told him I thought they'd enjoy hearing it and gave him info on how to contact them.)

Listening to this tape brought back some memories.  Good memories.  I remembered some of my contacts with Evil, too.  He was a good guy, and it looks like he's gone on to some great things.  I wonder if he ever pops this tape in and relives some old times?  Probably not.  I rarely go back and read the things I wrote from so long ago.  Either way, I'm glad I still own the tape, and it definitely isn't going up for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment